Classical Art Training
Originally trained in drawing and painting, Dave has years of experience applying those design principles to print, screen and product design—as well as using strengths as a researcher and strategic thinker to absorb, analyze and create better and lasting solutions.
Dave graduated with honors from CSUC, Chico with a BA in Drawing & Painting and his work is found in both private and public collections, including the Janet Turner Print Museum where his work was recently displayed with Janet’s collection that spans six centuries and more than 40 countries.
Pictured: Dave carving one of his Sandcastles at Pismo Beach, CA ▸
Dave’s ability in the area of strategic thinking — absorbing, analyzing and creating solutions — has been used in dozens of areas during his career.
His broad knowledge and experience in the areas of both digital and traditional design, as well as publishing and technology, allow him to create solutions that yield quality, efficiency, and in the end—a better bottom line for any business.
Pictured: One of Dave’s landscape paintings: “Quiet Morning” (Oil on canvas, 43×41, 1996)
“Creativity takes courage” — Henri Matisse
Skills & Tools of the Trade
- Photoshop expert (started using in 1995). Advanced Action script creation (Photoshop task automation)
- Adobe InDesign: book publishing, advertising, PDF creation.
- UI/UX screen development and advanced prototyping — Adobe XD, Sketch, Zeplin, Illustrator
- AWS & Google Cloud Platform server and website deployment & maintenance including blazing-fast servers using OpenLitespeed.
- WordPress Expert (CMS)
- Logo & advertising work, product & technical illustrations
- Copywriting, including websites, documentation, how-to & technical guides
- Some Premiere & After Effects experience
- Video encoding (streaming – DASH)
- Blender (3D)
- Training and talent development
Dave has a keen eye for detail and a willingness to tackle the obstacles that prevent a cohesive creative vision for many companies. With a consistent vision, everyone involved with creative efforts, whether it be a photographer, an app or web designer, or even the design of a seemingly mundane company form—can benefit from a unified creative direction.
“If you hear a voice within you say ‘you cannot paint,’ then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.” — Vincent van Gogh
Dave’s Seascape Painting: “Afternoon Wave” (Oil on panel, 6×6, 2019)
In the early days of the “Desktop Revolution, when many were still pasting up mechanicals, Dave was seeing the future and bought one of the first Macintosh computers along with Aldus Pagemaker, later purchased by Adobe.
Using his traditional layout skills and artistic background, he applied it to the new technology at hand—even using an early digital camera hooked directly to his computer to scan images.
Dave’s Landscape Painting: “The Clearing” (Oil on panel, 8×5, 2019)
- Over 30 Certificates of Completion at Lynda.com/LinkedIn Learning
- 1000’s of hours of instruction from YouTube, books and other sources
Activities & Hobbies
- Head cook: Northern California Burn Foundation summer camp, ‘93
- Volunteer work in Sri Lankan refugee camp (3 weeks), ‘84
- Inner city work in Dallas & OK City, ’82
- Society of American Magicians
Chico Conjurers Club
- US Chess Federation
- Oil painting
Pictured: Dave’s Landscape Painting: “Field Workers II” (Oil on canvas panel, 20×13, 2017)