Classical Art Training
Originally trained in drawing and painting, Dave has years of experience applying those design principles to print, screen and product design—as well as using strengths as a researcher and strategic thinker to absorb, analyze and create better and lasting solutions.
Dave graduated with honors from CSUC, Chico with a BA in Drawing & Painting and his work is found in both private and public collections, including the Janet Turner Print Museum (located at CSUC), where his work was recently displayed with Janet’s collection that spans six centuries and more than 40 countries.
Pictured: Dave starting to carve one of his Sandcastles at Pismo Beach, CA ▸
Dave’s ability in the area of strategic thinking — absorbing, analyzing and creating solutions — has been used in dozens of areas during his career.
His broad knowledge and experience in the areas of both digital and traditional design, as well as publishing and technology, allow him to create solutions that yield quality, efficiency, and in the end—a better bottom line for any company.
“Creativity takes courage” — Henri Matisse
Pictured: One of Dave’s landscape paintings: “Quiet Morning” (Oil on canvas, 43×41, 1996)
Skills & Tools of the Trade
- A highly analytical & strategic thinker
- Imaginative problem solver
- Full stack developer
- WordPress & Divi Builder expert
- Photoshop expert with advanced Actions
- InDesign: (hardback/paperback books, ebooks, advertising, promotion)
- Server experience: AWS/GCP (Google Cloud Platform) deployment & maintenance, LAMP and OpenLiteSpeed stacks
- UI/UX/Prototyping: XD, Sketch, Zeplin
- Logos/Illustrations: product & technical
- Copywriting: websites, documentation, ads, how-to & technical guides
- Video encoding (streaming – DASH)
- Blender (3D)
- Some Premiere & After Effects experience
- Training & talent development
Dave has a keen eye for detail and a love for creative problem-solving. With a consistent vision, everyone involved in creative efforts—whether it be a photographer, an app or web designer, or even the creation of seemingly mundane company forms—will benefit from a unified creative direction.
“If you hear a voice within you say ‘you cannot paint,’ then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.” — Vincent van Gogh
Dave’s Seascape Painting: “Afternoon Wave” (Oil on panel, 6×6, 2019)
In the early days of the “Desktop Revolution, when many were still pasting up mechanicals, Dave was seeing the future and purchased one of the first Macintosh computers, along with a game-changing program called Aldus Pagemaker (later purchased by Adobe).
Using his traditional layout skills and artistic background, he applied it to the new technology at hand—even using an early digital camera hooked directly to his computer to scan images.
Dave’s Landscape Painting: “The Clearing” (Oil on panel, 8×5, 2019)
- Over 30 Certificates of Completion at Lynda.com/LinkedIn Learning
- 1000’s of hours of instruction from YouTube, books and other sources
Activities & Hobbies
- Head cook: Northern California Burn Foundation, summer camp, ‘93
- Volunteer work in a Sri Lankan refugee camp (3 weeks), ‘84
- Inner city work in Dallas & OK City, ’81
- Society of American Magicians
- Chico Conjurers Club
- US Chess Federation
- Mechanical puzzle inventor & collector
- Reading & Researching
- Oil painting (Landscapes/Seascapes)
Pictured: Dave’s Landscape Painting: “Field Workers II” (Oil on canvas panel, 20×13, 2017)